Naturopathic Medicine – Is it for me?
Naturopathic Medicine is holistic care which connects the physical, mental and emotional aspects of the body to find the root cause of disease and its symptoms and treat them using natural and safe methods such as botanical medicine, homeopathy, diet and supplements, among others tools. One is never too old or too young to enjoy good health, being at the peak of their performance and full of energy!
What can I expect of an initial Naturopathic Visit?
Naturopathic first visits can often be lengthy due to the nature of naturopathic medicine where the practitioner aims to understand all factors affecting the health and well-being of patients (lifestyle, nutrition, stress, work & home environments, and social relations/support). They generally however follow this pattern:
- Intake: full health history obtained
- Physical exam: Either a full exam -if none in past year- or a focused/relevant exam.
- Labs: Requisition to family doctor for most recent labwork, and if unavailable either a full work-up or most necessary labs will then be performed.
- Treatment: recommendations given and treatment plan discussed with patient.
What kinds of health conditions do Naturopathic Doctors treat?
Naturopathic doctors are trained to diagnose and treat various acute and chronic conditions, just like your regular general practitioner. However, naturopathic doctors recognize that the every individual is different and so are the manifestations of disease, hence naturopathic physicians treat each person with an individualized plan that is specifically tailored to meet the individual’s needs.
What can it do for me?
There are typically three types of patients that seek naturopathic medical care:
- Patients that are looking for disease prevention and health promotion strategies. Individuals that recognize that health doesn’t just happen by chance, that it is a life-long process that involves a clear understanding of the factors that affect health and how to deal with them on a daily basis. People looking for health promotion as a way of life is increasing tremendously all the time.
- Patients that have a range of symptoms that they have been unable to address on their own or with the help of other medical practitioners. With Naturopathic medicine’s broad understanding of health and the relationship between health, life and the environment naturopathic doctors are often able to offer patients a new perspective and provide safe and effective ways to restore health.
- Patients that have been diagnosed with an illness and are looking for alternative treatments. Naturopathic medicine is very effective in improving quality of life for those with serious and life threatening illnesses. It is used extensively and effectively for those patients that are looking to combine conventional and naturopathic treatments with the aim of minimizing side effects to drugs, surgery or conventional treatments.